On July 5th, 2023, the Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN) hosted an interactive webinar of the SDG Leadership Programme. This program was a joint effort between the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) and the United Nations System Staff College (UNSSC) with the aim of empowering and equipping its leaders with the necessary knowledge and skills to address global challenges effectively. The focus was on the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
To initiate this transformative learning journey, the program organizers commenced the first online module between June and December 2023. In addition to the online learning, they scheduled a series of live and interactive webinars to provide participants with the opportunity to engage with experts in various fields covered by the program.
The webinar commenced with a warm welcome from Sara Cortes, Head of Learning Programmes at UNSSC. She also provided an overview of the progress on UNKampus and the SDG modules. Nora Sahatciu, SDG Coordination Officer, introduced the relevance of the SDGs through a fun and informative introductory poll, engaging the audience from the outset.
Key highlights of the webinar included:
- Prof. Jeffrey D. Sachs‘ Keynote Address: Prof. Sachs delved into the Sustainable Development Report 2023, shedding light on the importance of integrating the SDGs and identifying critical entry points for driving transformation. He emphasized the significance of understanding the objectives and actions behind the SDGs to ensure their successful implementation.
- Dr. Patrick Paul Walsh, SDSN Vice President of Education and Director of the SDG Academy, shared essential insights from the Global Sustainable Development Report 2023. He also discussed the role of political leadership and institutional coordination in advancing the SDGs, highlighting how UNOPS could play a pivotal role in facilitating this process.
- Prof. Phoebe Koundouri, Chair of the SDSN Global Climate Hub and Co-chair of SDSN Europe and SDSN Greece, explored national adaptation pathways, identifying opportunities and best practices in this context.
Following the presentations, interactive discussions allowed participants to engage with the speakers, exchange ideas, and deepen their understanding of the topics at hand.
1) Sustainable Development Report 2023 – Sustainable Development Report Focus on: The Vision for the next 7 years; The SDG Pathways and The SDG Stimulus
2) Advance, unedited 2023 Global Sustainable Development Report | Department of Economic and Social Affairs
3) Zero Final SDG PD Revised.pdf (un.org) Poliitcal Declaration for the SDG Summitt.
4) SDG Progress Report 2023 ADVANCE UNEDITED VERSION | Department of Economic and Social Affairs